You will be bandaged after your tattoo is complete. Leave the bandage on overnight. Once it’s time to remove the bandage in the morning, wash your hands using a mild, unscented, uncoloured liquid hand soap (ex: Softsoap) and carefully remove the bandage, then follow these steps:
A mild, unscented, uncoloured liquid hand soap (ex: Softsoap) is best for cleaning your tattoo. Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo.
- Initial wash: Work up a lather in your hands and then gently rub the surface of your tattoo with your fingertips; you want to remove any and all debris.
- Next, run your tattoo under water as hot as you can comfortably handle for a few minutes to open the surface of the tattoo to make for easy cleaning.
- Now it’s time to give your tattoo a good wash! Work up a lather in your hands again and gently rub the surface of your tattoo with your fingertips for a couple of minutes. Rinse clean with lukewarm to cold water.
- Once done the surface should look spongy and smooth. If there is still built up debris or greasy looking areas, you are not done washing.
Pat the area dry with a clean towel, do NOT rub it! Do not use a dirty towel that’s been hanging in your bathroom for days. Once you’ve dabbed the excess water, let the tattoo air-dry. You want your tattoo to dry out, so do not apply any lotion or ointment for the first 2 – 3 days.
Follow the steps above once or twice per day for the first 2 – 3 days.
After 2-3 days, now is the time to start to using an unscented water based lotion if your tattoo looks or feels dry. Apply the lotion whenever the tattoo looks dry and flaky. Wash your tattoo once a day during your daily shower and wash throughout the day ONLY if it becomes dirty for any reason.
ADDITIONAL HEALING INFORMATION
- Avoid tanning while the tattoo is healing and once it’s healed wear sunscreen (forever)!
- Avoid soaking the tattoo while it’s healing. Showering is fine, but no pools, hot tubs, or baths.
- Avoid picking or scratching (cause we’ll know!).
- Do not re-bandage for any reason.
- Change your bedding often.
- Do not constrict your tattoo. Tight clothing can irritate your tattoo. Wear clean loose clothing.
- A tattoo is an open wound; do not allow your tattoo to come in contact with other human bodily fluids or pathogens.
If you have any questions please email the shop or give us a call, we will be happy to answer them for you!
*this is a general tattoo aftercare, your artist may give you specific instructions for your tattoo that differs from what is written above*
Failure to follow these instructions will void any touch-up guarantees. Not all parts of the body are guaranteed.
Painted Lotus Studios is dedicated to providing each and every client with a personalized experience in a clean and safe environment. We practice the highest standards in Principles of Infection Control and Sterilization, with certification to prove it.